Dolby TrueHD is an advanced lossless audio codec developed by Dolby Laboratories that is based on Meridian Lossless Packing. The multi-channel audio codec has been developed for high-definition home entertainment equipments like Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. The technology support for HD DVD is mandatory but for Blu-ray Disc hardware, it is optional.
The technology supports 24-bit, 96 kHz audio channels at up to18 Mbit/s over 14 channels. However, HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc standards limit the number of audio channels to eight currently. The technology supports extensive metadata, dialog normalization and Dynamic Range Control too. Being a successor to the AC-3 Dolby Digital surround sound codec, it competes with DTS-HD Master Audio, which is a lossless codec from DTS.
The audio compression technology uses Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) as the basis and supports sample depths up to 24 bits/sample and audio sample rates up to 192 kHz. Dolby TrueHD bitstreams carry program metadata and up to 14 discrete sound channels. The technology was specifically developed for high-definition entertainment and provides stunning sound to the home theater experience.
- Provides stunning high-definition surround sound, identical to the master recording.
- The 100 percent lossless audio delivers best quality sound effects.
- Unlocks full potential of Blu-ray Disc capabilities to provide stunning sound with a 7.1/8 channel playback.
- Holds the ability to support more than 16 audio channels.
- The single-cable HDMI audio and video digital connection makes home theater connection easy.